Thursday 15 August 2013

And then there was Dravid ..

Sheer reverence.
Pure admiration.
I exalt him to my very own God.


I don't exactly remember who made me watch my first cricket match on TV. But all I know is, cricket was never the same again. That moment when insanely-crazy-cricket-struck fans had their mouths opened in awe when Sachin broke a record that nobody knew even existed, there I was, drooling over Rahul Dravid. He was amazing at the game. Crisp, clean, brave and very modest. His courtly determination, absolute professionalism made me love him even more. He enthralled me with his agility, grit and courage.

Yes, before I knew, I fell in love with Rahul Dravid. And it's been years. I can't even recall since when I had a crush on him, like a sloppy love-bitten teenager. Only that it wasn't actually a crush-he was just someone who I looked upto, with unmatched respect and total admiration. I became a regular and ardent follower of all cricket matches that India played. I mean, all matches that Rahul played! The guy was awesome. He reinstated my faith that good men still exist.

Dapper and soignee, I was browsing through the net, when I chanced upon his video, with his wife, Vijeta Pendharkar, now Vijeta Dravid- a surgeon. The sparkles that danced in his eyes, when he looked at his wife, sent shivers down my spine.

 Statistics aside(everyone knows that he is a genius batsman!), I love him for his absolute brilliance. A gentleman to the core. A loyal, unparalleled dedication to his game.
He's the reason why I still call cricket a gentleman's game, even in the face of countless match-fixing scandals. It broke his heart to see his own teammates cheating in a game so pure(or so he thought!). A game he devoted his entire life for. The nation felt cheated, the fans felt cheated, I felt cheated. But what most of us failed to see was, that HE felt cheated.

I have seen India play at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium, in the World Cup 2011, (just a day before my Economics exam!). Sachin, Dhoni, Sehwag, Harbhajan, Gambhir, Yuvraj, Virat Kohli. I have seen them bat. But, I miss Rahul. The dignity, the charm he exuded when he came out to bat. I missed my chance to see him play.

He was the epitome of grace.
The classic grace he brings when he enters the pavillion, is unmatched.
Mr. Dependable. THE WALL.

After a long and illustrious career, he humbly announced his retirement a year back. It was dignified and impeccably puritanical. His moral compass always pointed straight north. He earned something, which most fail to. RESPECT. He never played for personal glory, like most of his counterparts. He played for the team. He played, because it was his passion. The joy of pure excellence.

While Sachin and his lesser successors are bathed in the fierce gleam of the modern India, Rahul’s greatest moments seem to be shrouded in a dimming light, like the form of the game to which he was best suited.                                                        
Someone remarked, in response to a question whether Rahul Dravid was better or Sachin?

"Dravid. ALWAYS.Why? You know the answer if you know why some love Batman more than Superman, despite the latter being clearly more gifted than the former.
Because he was the hero Indian cricket deserved, but not the one it needed back then. So, many of us booed him down, because he could take it.
Because he was not our hero.
He was a silent guardian, a watchful protector.
The Wall."
 
 
Indeed, true.
For me, he'll always be the most revered man in the world, which reminds me of one famous dialogue, from a Hindi film. "Rahul, naam to suna hi hoga?". I found my Rahul.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment